Saturday 24 August 2013

Daddy and Daisy's Book Reviews

As some of you have noted, Daisy is a very advanced writer for her young age (see A Few of My Favourite Things).  However, we are struggling on the reading front. She doesn't really enjoy reading time with daddy even though I've chosen some of my favourite picture books to read to her.  I started reading to her when she was in the womb.  Her mother seemed to think that she enjoyed me reading to her because she would always move around and give a few kicks during and just after.  It turns out that this was probably her protesting at my reading rather than enjoying it!

I have decided to share with you five of the best books I have read with Daisy.  As well as a brief description of the contents and plots and my opinion on each one, Daisy has decided to share her rather critical opinions with you as well.

1. The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Sheffler

Julia Donaldson books are brilliant.  They are great, imaginative stories for everyone to enjoy.  The Gruffalo is about a cunning mouse who, whilst taking a stroll through the woods, encounters several predators along the way.  He invents a scary creature, the Gruffalo, to intimidate them.  He then meets the very creature he has made up and has to think quickly in order to survive.  The story is told in rhyme, as are all of other Donaldson's stories, which makes it a great book to read aloud.

Daisy's Opinion: 'What a silly story for my daddy to read to me.  Why would he read to me about a big horrible monster with terrible teeth, claws and tusks?  If I stay up all night crying because I'm too scared to sleep then he can only blame himself!  Wally!'

2. A Diary of a Wombat by Jackie French and illustrated by Bruce Whatley

A funny and charming account of the life of a wombat.  The story is told from the wombat's perspective and chronicles his persistent pursuit of food, scratching posts and suitable places to sleep.  In the course of his pursuit of these essentials, he manages to annoy a family and make life difficult for them by destroying their front door, rubbish bin and flower beds, as well as eating all of their carrots!

Daisy's Opinion: 'I didn't hear a word of this book.  I was too busy screaming.  Surely daddy realises that I can't hear him if I'm screaming.  Sometimes he is very silly.  He should just feed me instead of reading books to me whilst I'm crying.'

3. We Love Bunk Beds by Paula Metcalf

A very cute story about a little sister who wants to do everything her big sister does.  She follows her big sister everywhere and makes her life quite awkward at times.  Their mum buys them bunk beds to try to stop the little sister from climbing into bed with her big sister every night.  However, mum's solution doesn't quite work and the sisters end up in the same bed regardless.

Daisy's Opinion: 'Little sisters seem very annoying.  I hope mummy and daddy don't have any plans to get me a little sister anytime soon.  I think if I had to choose then I'd prefer a little brother.  Or maybe a puppy instead!'

4. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

A classic.  A colourful book about how the
hungry caterpillar makes his way through endless amounts of food without satisfying his hunger until he finally becomes a big, fat caterpillar builds a house and inevitably turns into a beautiful butterfly.

Daisy's Opinion: 'I like eating too.  I want to eat all of the time as well.  Or at least all of the time when I'm not sleeping.  I like sleeping too.  I wonder if I'll get big and fat and then turn into a butterfly too if I keep on eating.'

5. Monkey Puzzle by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler

Another excellent story from Donaldson and Scheffler.  The humorous tale of a lost monkey who enlists the help of a butterfly to find his mum.  The only problem being that the butterfly keeps misunderstanding information the monkey gives him about his mother.  The butterfly takes the lost monkey to lots of different animals in the jungle.  Without giving too much away, I can reassure you that the little lost monkey is okay at the end of the story.

Daisy's Opinion: 'I'll be honest.  Whilst daddy was reading this story to me, I wasn't really listening.  I was too busy staring at the wall.  I like staring at the blank cream wall.  Mummy and daddy must be pleased that I do this instead of looking at the all the pretty pictures on my wall or the colourful books and toys they have bought for me.'

No comments:

Post a Comment